Why is it so easy to worry about taking care of everyone else while forgetting to take care of yourself? Do you do this? If so, you are certainly not alone. It’s January 7th and how are all those New Years resolutions or committments you made to yourself going?
Take a moment and think, what did I do last week that was just for me? If you can think of one or more things then that is great news! If you cannot, then take time now to commit to doing something for yourself next week. While being the parent of a teenager can be really stressful and time consuming (especially when combined with all of life’s other challenges and demands) the worst thing you can do is lose yourself in the process. You MUST do things for you, you MUST rejuvinate yourself in whatever way works for you, you MUST remember that despite all the other things going on in your life, you are important and while taking care of everyone else, you also need to take care of you!
So…what are you going to commit to for the upcoming week?
Will you try to…
- Read more
- Take a walk and just noticing the fresh air, nature sounds, or sights
- Pamper yourself a little by going to the spa (I did this today!)
- Try some meditation or yoga poses or even go to a class
- Take a nice, long bath
- Play a sport or a gave you have not played in a while
- Spend time cooking or baking things you enjoy
- Catch up with an old friend
- Go see that movie you have been wanting to see
- Go on a date night with your significant other
There are so many more ideas – what is important is that you commit to one and make yourself a priority! You are the parent of a teenager but you are also you. Here’s to you!